Friday, September 07, 2007

On Tuesday I went to Abuja, the capitol of Nigeria. It is reported to be the fastest growing city in Africa. Yep, the fastest in the whole continent! Wow. I noticed a lot of changes since I was last there in July 2006. Nigeria is actually a rich country in resources and this is reflected in the modern buildings and city structures in Abuja.

Thanks to some supporters gifts, I was able to spend a couple days in a nice hotel, relaxing and sleeping a lot. I really enjoyed it, yet part of me struggled with all the wealth I was seeing. I did not feel guilty for my own ability to relax. However, it was difficult to see that there is such wealth here and yet, only for a select few. Since I work with the poor on a daily basis, I guess it just stands out more.

BUT - I am so thankful for the rest and the ability to not be available to anyone, even if just for a couple days!!! :)

GREAT NEWS - I picked up my dear friend Nicky from the airport today! In 2005, Nicky came to spend a year in Jos. At then end of her time, though, she realized that God was asking her to return as a long-term missionary. And now she has!!! I am really blessed by her friendship. I am constantly learning from her and seeing God through her.

2 comments:

Angie Velasquez Thornton said...

How fun! I'm so glad the Lord has sent you a sister to minister with. How exciting. Praise the Lord!

Anonymous said...

Keep getting your rest. It's important for your stamina. Enjoy it as a gift from our Lord.