Saturday, September 20, 2008

In Nashville

Greetings from Nashville... I arrived here yesterday to visit a dear friend, Jessica. She and I met our first week at Univ. of Mary Hardin-Baylor back in 1996, and have been close ever since. During my furlough a couple years ago, I was blessed to be a bridesmaid in her wedding to David White.  This weekend David is gone, so we're having lots of fun catching up, drinking lots of coffee, playing with her dogs, and enjoying the mild Nashville weather.  

My time in Chicago was very good for me emotionally, spiritually and physically. I still get tired easily, so it was nice to have the time to pace myself as I met with lots of people over the 5 weeks I was there. The weather was incredible, except for the 2 very rainy days when Ike came through - yep it even reached Chicago!  Being around my friends really lifted my spirits and made me feel 'alive' again. They encouraged me and loved on me through their words and actions. I stayed in Sue Cortolillo's apartment, the same place where I lived before I went to Nigeria in 2003! So I felt completely at home. My favorite place in her home is the window seat and since she lives on the second floor, the windows look out right onto the trees. I spent hours sitting there thinking, praying and thinking some more. God was near to me and met me in my mixed emotions of joy, confusion, anxiety, excitement, and anticipation.

A friend sent me a small devotional book called "Jesus Calling".  Here is an excerpt:

"I did not design the human mind to figure out the future. That is beyond your capability.  I crafted your mind for continual communication with Me.  Bring me all your needs, your hopes and fears.  Commit everything into my care. Turn from the path of planning to the path of Peace." 
 1 Peter 5:6-7, Proverbs 16:9, Psalm 37:5



No comments: