Sunday, August 17, 2008

Days in Dallas

I finally felt good enough to drive to Dallas last week. I have good friends in the area, so I wanted to make the most of the opportunity. First, I went to Becca’s apartment to get ready for Jennie’s shower. Now, Becca and I live in our flip flops, so we were debating what to wear. Then we thought of what Jennie would wear (so glad she sent me a picture) and figured that it was time for us to toss the flops and grab the heels. When we arrived, however, we saw a lady come out of the house wearing a casual outfit, which kinda threw us for a loop. We debated on going back to change into jeans, but instead decided to hold our heads high and walk inside like we knew everyone (knew no one). Yeah for Dallas Wedding Showers! Everyone (except Capri Chick) were looking good, so we fit right in. ;) Taco Cabana catered the meal, so we chowed down (delicately) amongst roses, candlelight, music and strangers. Jennie is a wonderful, godly woman who will be marrying an amazing man, Roy. We were blessed to be a small part of her celebration.



Christine and her family spent 2 years in Nigeria. It was wonderful to catch up with her.

Etc.... I enjoyed being a part of Prom Week at the Dallas Market. Many of the dresses had corsets. Beautiful, but difficult to lace up quickly. Got the hang of it and really enjoyed getting to know the other girls. Many of them are Christians, so that really gave the atmosphere one of laughter and peace. In that kind of environment, jealousy and competition usually reign, but we were so busy telling the models how gorgeous they looked in the dresses, laughing when we could not get the corsets tied in time and had to walk with the model to the curtain while trying to get the thing tied at the same time!, and getting to know one another, that it was a very positive experience.

Jennifer and I met for Indian food at Roti Grill. It was great to catch up with her. It's amazing how we can just pick up right where we left off. Since we've known each other since kindergarten, we have a lot of history and a strong friendship.

I was blessed to see Julie, a friend from nursing school. While enjoying incredible Kung Pao Chicken at Asian Mint, we shared our nursing experiences since graduation and laughed at memories of nursing school - oh, that time of our lives was so full of stress and fear and late nights and coffee. Lots of coffee.

Vi Hanson is such a precious and powerful prayer warrior. She is in her 80's, I think, and is just as sweet as can be. I inadvertently surprised her (miscommunication) by showing up at her door. But she welcomed me with such joy and a gorgeous smile, which stayed on her face the whole time! Christ's love pours out of her and I was so blessed and honored to be in her presence. If only I will grow up to be like her.

Much love and thanks to Jana, the Whites, Becca, and all who loved on me. It was a great trip.

Today I fly to Chicago, thanks to wonderful medicine and powerful prayers. Please pray that my lungs will hold up well during the flight (first since my surgery).

No comments: