Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Name them one by one

There are a handful of blogs that I check on a regular basis. If these folks don't regularly post something, I get frustrated. Especially since they are mostly in Nigeria, working with the kids I love and miss so terribly much, and their blogs make me feel closer to 'home'. Then I started thinking that maybe I should be better at posting snippets myself. :)

Today I went back to the 'Pain Clinic' - yep, that is its name. The good 'ol nerves that got damaged thanks to the chest tubes are going to be acting up for awhile, so I have to stay on top of them, or the pain is pretty intense. If you have had Shingles, then you know what I am talking about. Let me back up.... about a month ago I got my first round of 6 injections of steroids in my side (!). However, those did not work (!). A dear man from my church in TX had been keeping close tabs on me, since he is an anesthesiologist and a supporter of mine. A week after the 6 shots, I was pretty miserable. I called him on a Sunday evening and asked if he would be able to work me in to see someone in the morning (never hurts to ask). He told me he'd call me right back. When he called, he asked how long it would take me to get to the hospital. I paused, waiting, and then said, 'You mean, now?' - it was 8pm on a Sunday. So my dad drove me to a back entrance, where this precious man met us and took us back to the surgery department, where his colleague was on-call that night. One hour and 10 more injections later, I walked out of there with bad memories of the injections, but feeling oh so good. Back to today... although I was feeling pretty good, the doctor suggested I go ahead and get more injections (10 more!) so that I will feel pretty much pain-free for awhile. Yeah for that!...

Also, Aunty Erin got to talk to about 20 of her boys in Nigeria today! That was a wonderful 2 hours and money very well spent, I tell you. They just encouraged me so much. One of the younger ones got very serious and said 'Aunty, I have a verse for you. It is Psalm 3:4 'To the Lord, I cry out and He answers me from His holy hill.' Is that not precious or what? They are all so excited about camp, which will be in a couple weeks....

The Chicago Moody Church team is all ready to head out to Nigeria on Friday. I have been so blessed to be a part of the camp preparations on this end of things. I co-directed the camp last year with my co-worker Elisha. In my absence, my dear friend Nicky has stepped up and has done an amazing job getting things prepared. A lot of the camp info was stuck in my head and not on a computer file...so, emails have flown back and forth and phone calls galore - and things are looking good. I had a lot of fun shopping for supplies, games, prizes, etc for the team to take over (about 70 pounds worth of stuff !)....

I am also so thankful that I am feeling so much better (26 shots later:) and signed up for a month's membership at a fitness center here in Salado. Today was my second day and I am sore, but very happy to be rehabilitating myself. As I have said to many and now it is coming back to kick me..... if you don't take care of yourself, you cannot take care of others.

It's been a good day. It really does help to count your blessings, name them one by one.....

4 comments:

Janet said...

Good to hear that things are going well and you are recovering from the pain.

If you ever want to check out my blog (mostly kid stuff - has to stay personal, it's

http://janetmammagee.blogspot.com/

love from us,

Janet

Janet said...

So good to hear you are doing better and how God is providing!

If you ever want to check out my blog to see the kids (all personal stuff), it's
http://janetmammagee.blogspot.com/

With love from us,

Janet

Anonymous said...

It's great to hear that your health is improving...Praying for you. Blessings!
Josiah

Anonymous said...

Praying for you. Thanks for the update.