Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Favorite Things and Reflections

I have been in Texas for a week now. Some of my favorite things from the past week:


~ Jalisco's salsa - the Texas folks will know what I am talking about.


~ sleeping in - it is so quiet here. My house in Nigeria is on a loud compound. Outside my bedroom window is the front gate to the compound, so if I tried to rest during the day, I heard everything and everyone coming in. Plus my dogs barking and the phone always ringing. I joked with the gaurd one day saying "Peter, at 6am, you are really loud and it sounds like you are right in my bedroom! Peter, I really don't like waking up and thinking you are in my room." That made him laugh and he got the point and he is no longer my alarm clock.


~ American Idol. Yeah, I am a junkie.


~ Green grass. Everything is Soooo green in Texas now. I love it! In Nigeria, everything is pretty brown because we are at the end of the 6 months of no rain.


~ Front porch. My parents have a porch that looks over their nice front yard. I love to sit out there and just think and pray and just BE.


~ Anonymity. In Nigeria, white folks are kinda obvious and so people watch everything you do. When it gets annoying, I try to pretend I am a celebrity and that kinda makes it funny. Is definitely a good accountability thing. BUT I enjoyed walking through Target the other day and no one even turned their head to look at me.


~ Twinkie, my faithful dog. I walked into the house from the airport and there she was, whining and jumping around and licking me! I had not seen her for a year, but she knows who her mama is!



~ Shopping. Yeah, I love to shop. I love shopping in Nigeria. But here, it is so easy! No one is shouting out 'baturiya' (white woman), or begging you to shop in their stall. And all the prices are set here in America. I mean, I can't go up to the gal at Target and say "Hey, I know the price on this shirt says it is $15, but how about I give you $8?" That's one thing I love/hate about shopping in Nigeria. You definitely have to be in the mood.


A few days before I left Jos, I was shopping and the guy told me the thing was going to cost $45. I guffawed at him and said "Look, I may look like a white person, but I am really Nigerian and I know the price. So please don't try that." I got him down to $14. :)



The list goes on and on...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I am really thankful to be home because I have been sick the whole time since I arrived. The two weeks before I left Nigeria, I was feeling really great, so I was like, hey, I don't need to go home. But, not the case. Last week I saw an internal med doctor and she caught a couple infections and got me on antibiotics. Tomorrow I will see my pulmonologist and on Thursday, the infectious disease doctor.



I feel very loved and carried by God during this time of the unknown. Faith really is being sure of what you don't see. I can't see very far. But, as a good friend told me the other day, just keep walking forward. My dad reminded me that God never demotes anyone. He is always out to promote His children to the next level that He has for their lives.



Yesterday, the Lord met with me as I sat on the porch with my coffee. He said that I should pray for complete physical healing and He may choose to answer that. But the prayer that He will DEFINITELY answer is the restoration of my soul.



Praise Him.







3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin,

We don't actually know one another... but Tim Schmidt is a friend of mine. He had a link to your blog on his site. I haven't heard from him in a long time - but I had bookmarked your blog and check it every once in a while.

I'm living in Honduras and teaching at a bilingual, Christian school here. I'm just wrapping up my 3rd year and am getting ready to move back to the States. It's a bittersweet time, as I'm sure you can understand.

I just wanted you to know that I appreciate your updates - your encouraging words, your faith, and your honesty. I've often come away from your blog encouraged. This evening I was talking with a friend about the incredible peace that the Lord is providing as I wait on His timing in the midst of so many unknowns regarding my next steps. This friend was reading to me from Hebrews 11. I just peeked at your blog and saw the same verses quoted - and knew that I had to write to you! Please know that the Lord used your words and faith to be an encouragement to me this evening!

Your sister in Christ,
Sarah Ashton

Karis Busenitz said...

HEY ERIN, I REALLY LOVE YOUR BLOG. I AM AT SIMSTART IN NC AND HEARD ABOUT NIGERIA AND READ THE PRF FOR THE GIDAN BEGE MINISTRY THERE IN JOS. i LOOKED UP SOME INFO ON MY OWN AND SAW A LINK TO YOUR BLOG. I CAN DEFNITELY TELL YOU LOVE THOSE PEOPLE. =0) I HOPE YOU ARE ENJOYING RESTING IN THE STATES. YOU ARE RIGHT- GOD IS SO GOOD AND HE DEFINITELY TAKES GOOD CARE OF US. =0) I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO GOING TO AFRICA AND AM SERIOUSLY PRAYING ABOUT NIGERIA AND GIDAN BEGE. MAY GOD CONTINUE TO HEAL YOUR BODY AND REFRESH YOUR SOUL. zEPH 3:17 IN CHRIST ~ KARIS BUSENITZ

~s said...

We are old friends of Peter & Miriam. I howled at your comment about P being your alarm clock! I will be praying for your health and return to Nigeria. I have read your posts and you clearly love it. My husband is in Nigeria right now. So sorry he will not get to meet you.

susanne