Tuesday, May 29, 2007

My house





Lots of folks ask me about my house in Jos, Nigeria.
- The first pic is of one of my dogs, Chloe, on the pathway in my backyard.
- Second pic is of my house. I am blessed to have a house, as a single, as most singles with our mission have to stay in apartments. I live on a compound with other Nigerians, some missionaries and there are also church offices and a pharmacy. It is pretty busy and noisy. I wish I could take my yard and my house to a quieter place. Sigh. Count your blessings :)
- Water tanks. These babies are a huge necessity. The 'city water', regulated by the govt, is not always on. So when it does come, it goes into the black tank. Once that is full, I hit a switch and the water is pumped up into my 'reserve' tank, the orange one. We can go days without any water from the city.
- Mama Mango Tree. This is one of two huge mango trees in my yard. Unfortunately, the mangoes are so far off the ground that when they fall, they get busted. So I really don't get the benefit of the trees. Also, every item of clothing has to be ironed after drying on the line, to kill the eggs of mango flies. These babies, if not killed, can hatch under your skin. Yuck.

1 comment:

Angie Velasquez Thornton said...

Your dog is adorable! Chloe doesn't look like the most ferocious guard dog, but I guess you don't need that living on a compound, eh? Your place looks lovely. And the groundnut and spinach soup from your last entry looks pretty yummy to me! :) It's great to read your blog and hear and see about your life in Nigeria.