Thursday, September 10, 2009

Renewed Fear of the Lord God Almighty

Last night a friend and I were talking about how we want to live with expectancy and to live intentionally. We were reflecting on how fast time goes by and, before we know it, a week is gone and what eternal significance do we have to show for it? Did we love on people God brought across our paths? Did we show patience to people who were maybe having a bad day? Did we stop and help someone else, even when it was inconvenient? And what makes something inconvenient? Pretty much the fact that, in our selfish minds, wherever we are going or whatever we are doing is more important than others needs.

We talked about how our culture really affects us. I am fascinated by cultures and find myself analyzing what I am seeing or experiencing through the eyes of an American, or a Nigerian, or perhaps a wealthy person versus a poorer person; a single person versus a married couple. Chicago has so many cultures within cultures, that I am never without a loss for material.

It can be downright confusing sometimes, for me, as many times I find myself unsure of how to respond - do I respond like I did in Nigeria or do I respond like other Americans? Is a situation I may be in because of a healthy cultural influence or is it negative? Is it sinful or is it Biblical? I am not thinking of one thing in particular, but every day things - the more we are looking for culture, the more it is revealed to us. The more we question our motives, our spending, how we relate to others, how others relate to us... the more aware we are of how complex we are.

After getting off the phone with my friend, I was really missing Nigeria and all the kids there, thanks to all my analysis of culture. I spent a lot of time looking through pictures, thinking and just feeling homesick for a place that seems so far away now. Then I went to bed. Which I KNOW is not good for me - to dwell and reflect on Nigeria right before bed - because almost 100% of the time, this results in really sad dreams about my life in Nigeria and then I wake up in a cloud of sadness. I am praying for self-discipline in this area, to fill my mind with joyful, peaceful and encouraging things before I go to bed.

So I woke up this morning, in desperate need of some encouragement from the Lord. I went to Jeremiah 10. As I read the chapter, my heart was sobered. Read Jeremiah 10 here. God was talking to Israel (and talking to us) about the necessity of being separate from the evils in culture. The people of Israel had been making their own idols, out of wood, silver and gold and then worshiping these powerless things. God calls the customs worthless and He calls the people senseless and foolish. The people will be shamed, will be mocked, will perish in judgement. Ouch.

The LORD Almighty goes on to say, through Jeremiah, that He is the King of Nations, the True God, the Living God, the Eternal King. The Israelites were choosing to worship things that were dead, things that had been formed by human hands, things without any power.

We are senseless to not inquire of the LORD. As a result, we will be scattered and will not prosper. God will remove His hands from us, if we continue to worship false Gods. He is a jealous God and He WILL NOT share His glory.

Not applicable enough? Ok, verses 23 and 24:

I know, O LORD, that a man's life is not his own; it is not for man to direct his steps. Correct me, LORD, but only with justice - not in Your anger, lest you reduce me to nothing.

A renewed fear of God was put into my soul this morning. I so easily build up idols in my life. I allow things, people, memories to control me, to demand my worship. I give power to situations and circumstances and to Satan, when they are worthless, and that makes me a fool. I was corrected in my thinking, as God reminded me that I am right where He put me. He directs my steps. My life is not my own. My life is a tiny blip on the radar of eternity. He is pursuing my complete, total, abandoned affection. He wants ALL of me.

Like with the children of Israel, God allows us to choose how we will respond to adversity, to suffering, to persecution, to sickness, to poverty, to injustice. Like with the children of Israel, He will respond to us in relation to how we respond to Him.

Will I respond with complete commitment and worship of Him? Or will I spend my days on my own worldly pursuits, giving pieces of my worship to people, in response to the cultural temptations and influence, to the newest fad or sensation?

"Everyone is senseless and without knowledge; every goldsmith is shamed by his idols. His images are a fraud; they have no breath in them. They are worthless, the objects of mockery; when their judgment comes, they will perish. He who is the Portion of Jacob is not like these, for he is the Maker of all things, including Israel, the tribe of his inheritance— the LORD Almighty is his name." Jeremiah 10:14-16

This 1 minute clip was recently taken of our older boys in Nigeria, during a spontaneous time of worship.

They are singing... "Holy, Holy is the Lord Almighty. Holy, Holy is He. Holy is the Lord, God Almighty, the earth is filled with His glory".

No comments: