Saturday, June 20, 2009

To my dad.....

During my years in Nigeria, I became more and more grateful for my childhood and for the loving father God gave me. The children I took care of have been beaten by their dads, have been thrown out on the streets by their dads, have been disowned by their dads because the child chose to follow Christ, have been starved by their dads, have been cursed by their dads. The one person in their life who was created to protect them, guide them, accept them, teach them, encourage them in a way no one can... for so many children all over the world, their fathers have caused unspeakable harm

In the midst of the sorrow I saw, God opened my eyes even more to what an amazing Dad I have.

~ It was him, not Mom, who first put my hair in pigtails when I was 1 years old.

~ When I was 3 years old, he let me sit on his lap and drive the riding lawn mower... right into a fence.

~ Some of my favorite childhood memories are when Dad and I would wake up super early and go fishing on his boat. It didn't matter if my cast was pathetic, if I caught a tree, or if I got the twine all tangled up - he was so patient with me and I knew that he loved those mornings just as much as me. One morning, we were fishing for white bass and man, they were biting. We started a competition to see who could catch the most by a certain time... and I won! I think I caught 31 and he caught 27. It was awesome.

~ Every Christmas for years, Shane and I would wake up and go into Mom and Dad's bedroom and crawl in bed with Mom while Dad went downstairs to turn on the heater, start the fire, make the coffee and get things all cozy for us. For years we made him be "Santa Claus" by handing our gifts to us, as we went around the circle and watched each other open one gift at a time. One Christmas morning, I caught him putting together a dollhouse for me. I think he was bummed that I caught him, but it's a special memory for me because I saw the joy in his face as he worked on the surprise.

~ He makes the BEST omelets. Dad loves to make "Big Breakfasts" and I love to eat them.

~ If he knew that mom or I needed to go somewhere and our car was dirty, many times I would go outside and find a sparkling clean car. He still does this!

~ He loves to make the outside of our home beautiful. Dad has a natch for landscaping and every house we've lived in has been blessed by dad's hands.

~ Whenever he would leave in the early mornings to go fishing (when I wouldn't go), he always came and kissed my forehead before he left.

~ He always knew when I was trying to pull a fast one on him during High School and he was quick to discipline, but always quicker to love me in the midst of it all.

~ He loves to drive me nuts by mispronouncing words on purpose... like "guacamala"

~ When I am crying, he will start crying with me. (and I think this is AWESOME for a man to do this!).

~ If he doesn't want to cry, he will start laughing.

~ Every morning for years, he goes on one hour 'power walks' - an hour of powerful prayer and intercession. Our dog, Bonnie, who has spent these special hours with him for many years, has sure been privy to to some incredible conversations between my Dad and the Lord.

~Dad is an extremely gracious man.

~ Dad loves his family with a passion and seeks to serve the Lord every day of his life.

~ He loves my mom dearly and has been faithful to her all 37 years of their marriage.



I love you Dad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love, Princess





No comments: