Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I began at the end


Before I moved to Nigeria in 2003, SIM asked me to spend a month in Sebring, FL, working as a nurse at the SIM Retirement Village. It was one of the most powerful months of my life. The Village is a small neighborhood that is owned by SIM. All the houses there are occupied by retired missionaries and the staff who care for them. It's a gorgeous, yet simple setting. There's nothing pretentious about it, yet it exudes of royalty.



The 'Saints of Sebring', as I fondly call them, are ages 65-98 years old! Many of them spent 30+ years overseas. When they went overseas (many went by ship), they knew it was very possible that they would not return. These Saints were not able to have contact with their families except through a letter every couple months. During my month there in 2003, I spent hours in their homes, listening to their stories of God's faithfulness, of tragedy, and of humor. Oh, how they made me laugh!

I felt very honored by the opportunity to 'begin at the end', as I like to call it. God allowed me to kind of fast-forward 40 years and see where I could be living. He prodded me with questions of commitment, conviction and concern to live without regret. He showed me what I needed, in my flesh, to see: His materialistic provisions to His people who have served Him with their lives - The homes are cute, the cars are nice, the health care is available.... I saw first-hand how He takes care of His children until our last breath.

When I visited in 2003, I was so sure that I would spend 30+ years overseas. I am thankful for that commitment God gave me, as it helped me to totally immerse myself in my life in Nigeria. Over the past couple years, God has been refining me and asking me if I am completely satisfied with Him, no matter where I go or what I do. With my recent health challenges, I have been learning more and more what it means to live in daily surrender.

Back to present day... I recently had the blessing of returning to Sebring again. As soon as I drove into the neighborhood, tears started flowing (I am not one to cry easily). I felt His presence so strongly then and every day I was there. God used those few days to once again refocus my passions, desires, motives, and purpose.


Here are a few of my Heroes in the Faith...


Penny Pinneo. She contracted Lassa Fever as a young missionary in Nigeria. She almost died, but God saved her and used the antibodies in her blood to save many other lives, too!
A phenomenal book,
Fever: The Hunt for a New Killer Virus, was written about her! 60+ years later, Penny still has effects from the Fever. Penny has kept in touch with me over the past 5 years and her faithfulness to the Lord floors me and causes me to evaluate my own devotion.



Ruth Grimshaw. She spent 30+ years in Nigeria, teaching at a small Bible school in the bush. She was a 'real missionary'. I've been to the area she lived, and even now, decades later, it is too rural for me! She spends hours at her typewriter, encouraging missionaries and keeping in touch with those she loves.



Combined years of missionary service overseas: 125+... These dear saints treated me to lunch at the Olive Garden. Penny had never been before! They also surprised me with an envelope full of money and told me to treat myself. :-) Wow, right? Mom and I used their gift to go see the Broadway musical, Mary Poppins. One of the most fun I've had in a long time. Lois, in black, sends me a donation every month. She also tells the funny story: Back in her day, the SIM Nigeria policy was that if a guy and girl spent time together, they had to have a chaperone and they had to have a lantern with them. Lois says, with a straight face, that nobody ever said the lantern had to be lit. :-) Oh, my, what good laughs we had.

Ray de la Haye. I think Ray spent over 40 years in Nigeria. His children are also in ministry. I met him in 2003. He was fluent in Hausa and French and read out of his Hausa Bible everyday. Hausa is the language in the area of Nigeria I serve in. He was the first person I ever heard speak in Hausa. Over the years, Ray would send me short, typed notes, letting me know he prayed for me every day. Late in 2008, Ray had to move into a nursing home. When I visited Sebring a couple weeks ago, I went to see Ray. It was really difficult to see a shadow of the man I had known. He was unable to speak very well, but he smiled when he saw me and grasped onto my hand. Ray seemed so close to seeing his Savior face to face and I felt overwhelmed with emotions: of thankfulness to see him once again, of desire to serve faithfully to the end like Ray, of reality that our bodies are wasting away each day, but that we can be renewed in our spirits, through God's work in our lives... I kissed Ray on the forehead and told him, through my tears, how proud I am to have known him, that he has finished well, and that he is one of my heroes.

Two days later, Ray left this earth and is currently speaking his heart language with the Father.



2 comments:

Janet said...

What a powerful testimony of God's faithfulness! Thank you for sharing these people with us.

A wonderful Tribute to these Saints and the, Praise the Lord, another revelation of His glory!!

What a wonderful privilege to meet these people...hope I can visit some day...

Beth said...

Wow! What a great post...I am glad it was shared with us appointees. I love the lantern comment. So funny!