Friday, March 12, 2004

To be a Nigerian

TO BE A NIGERIAN:
1) Pick out the fabric, design the dress and take it to the tailor. Voila –- beautiful clothes at bargain prices.
2) Dance, clap, wave your arms and dance some more when praising your Risen Savior.
3) Hop on a motorcycle with your 2-year-old sitting in front of the driver, your 5-year-old behind him, and your 6-month-old tied to your back as you sit on the edge of the seat!
4) Master the art of driving, which resembles a video game: objects (goats, people, other cars, dogs, motorcycles, chickens, etc.) flying at you in all directions and your goal is to get to the finish line without dying.

I have mastered three of the four above. Can you guess which ones ?!?

IMMUNIZATIONS, DEWORMING & ALL THAT JAZZ
The past month in ministry has been very encouraging to me. I praise God for a breakthrough in my relationship with the boys. We were able to obtain Tetanus and Meningitis vaccines for all the boys. I have observed a lot of problems due to worms, so last week all of them were given pills to kill those buggers! The boys are beginning to understand my role with them. They knew I was a nurse, but giving the immunizations was the first time they really saw me in action. After the injections, a dozen came up to me with various problems, showing me that they are beginning to trust me. Because God has healed my ears, I believe Him for healing in others. It is a great honor to pray over each boy, asking Jesus to heal and restore them in every way. As I develop the health care system for these boys, pray that I will work in the strength and wisdom of God. In Nigeria, people are called ‘Auntie/Uncle’ or ‘Mama/Babba’, depending on their age. So, all the kiddos call me Auntie. When I arrive at Transition House, many run up to me saying ‘Auntie, look at this cut’, ‘Auntie, I do not feel good’, etc. It is great! Spending time with them is the highlight of my day.

No comments: